Items filtered by date: May 2021
The Council is delighted to announce the latest round of Prize awards to:
- Hope Child Care in Rye Brook to remake an outdoor space for infants and toddlers so they can explore nature, water and other natural materials. Accepting: Esperanza Velasquez, Director
- Caring Tree Childcare Center in Mount Vernon to establish the “Into the Future 2.0” program to reduce the digital divide for after school children and their parents through a shared space for children and parents together. Accepting: Emilinda Lugo-Agosto, Supervisor
- Rye YMCA in Rye to expand their child care and after school programs, enabling them to serve over 180 additional children. Accepting: Kathy Lynam, Sr. Program Director – Child Care
- Mt Kisco Child Care Center in Mt Kisco for materials in a new outdoor learning area for neurotypical preschoolers and those with special needs in partnership with Westchester ARC’s Children’s School for Early Development. Accepting: Kerry Wilson, Pre-K Head Teacher/Supervisor
The Cathryn A. Riley Leadership Committee established the Innovation for Quality Prize process in 2016. Since that time, 20 awards have been made to 19 different organizations for a total of $28,000. There were no Prizes awarded in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To view the list of Prizes, click here.
There were 12 applicants this year, the most ever. The Committee looks forward to the next round in 2022.
The Innovation for Quality Prizes are made possible by the Cathryn A. Riley Fund of the Child Care Council of Westchester. Cathryn "Cate" Riley was a coordinator at the Council prior to her death. She was involved with the NYS Child Care Coordinating Council, now known as the Early Care and Learning Council, the coordinating agency for the statewide CCRR network. She also served on the NYS Department of Education Committee for Teacher Certification, the Board of the Westchester Association for the Education of Young Children and the Advisory Board of Westchester Community College. Cate was herself an intuitive and skilled leader in early care and education.
We are so pleased to offer a full scholarship to Leadership Westchester, a unique program run by Volunteer NY! that sharpens leadership skills, expands relationships, facilitates a new understanding of your own values, capacities and goals, and increases your ability to influence others.
This will be our 6th year!
Leadership Westchester differs from most academic and professional development experiences you may have had, but the pay-off is potentially great! The program will start-up in the fall, in-person. The 10 session calendar also includes 3 full-day sessions. To view the Leadership Westchester calendar CLICK HERE!
Applications are due by Friday, July 2nd by 5 pm. Interviews with candidates will be scheduled the week of July 12th, via Zoom.
For the application, please CLICK HERE - Leadership Westchester Scholarship Application
We are thrilled to see Juanita Pope, our Office and Community Events Manager, named a 2021 Rising Star by the Business Council of Westchester. This awards program recognizes 40 Westchester business professionals under the age of 40 who exemplify leadership skills, exceed expectations and set new standards for success. What an apt way to describe Juanita!
Here are a few of the reasons we nominated her for this prestigious award:
- Juanita was instrumental in our pandemic response, facilitating the purchase and distribution of more than $300,000 worth of critical supplies to child care providers; organizing food drives, and collecting and distributing things like diapers and infant formula to families who could not find or afford these items. Juanita was often in the office after hours or on weekends to ensure that every “ask” from a parent or child care provider was answered, so no one went without.
- A leader within our organization, Juanita makes initiatives across every department in our organization less stressful and more successful by contributing helpful and creative ideas to marketing, membership, events, staff development, legislative advocacy and more.
- Juanita is an incredible event planner! In 2019, she created and executed a new event to honor early education heroes; it was so successful, we made it an annual event. Our 2021 event was an amazing virtual salute to child care professionals.
- Juanita’s mission is to help those in need and provide opportunity to underserved people and youth. She is an avid volunteer and looks for opportunities to mentor young teens who need guidance and motivational coaching.
We hope you will join us at the Business Council of Westchester’s virtual event to celebrate Juanita and the other Rising Stars. It takes place June 17 from 6:00 to 7:00 pm.
Click here to register. (It’s free!)
The Westchester early care and education (ECE) community is full of talented, innovative, committed leaders. Now for the 6th year, the Council will be sending one of our ECE leaders to Leadership Westchester. A unique program run by Volunteer NY!, Leadership Westchester brings together leaders from every sector of the county. The program will start-up in the fall, in-person.
To learn more about Leadership Westchester, join our virtual Info Session on Friday, June 18th at 10am, and meet facilitator David Severance. For the Info Session Zoom link CLICK HERE!
Applications are due to the Council by Friday, July 2nd by 5 pm. Interviews with candidates will be scheduled the week of July 12th, via Zoom.
See the Leadership Westchester application HERE!