Immediate care is required for any child experiencing the following symptoms:
- Prolonged fever (more than five days)
- Difficulty feeding (infants) or is too sick to drink fluids
- Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting
- Change in skin color - becoming pale, patchy and/or blue
- Trouble breathing or is breathing very quickly
- Racing heart or chest pain
- Decreased amount of frequency in urine
- Lethargy, irritability or confusion
Early recognition by pediatricians and referral to a specialist including to critical care is essential.
New York State is leading the national effort to find out more about this illness related to COVID-19 in children. Department of Health is investigating several cases of severe illness in children and child deaths that may be related to COVID-19 where children are experiencing symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease and toxic shock-like syndrome.
The Westchester County Department of Health is alerting parents and guardians that there has been a rare, but serious childhood inflammatory disease with a possible link to COVID-19, to read more click HERE in English or AQUÍ en Español.